Author Topic: How to build  (Read 2719 times)

ramorius

How to build
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:13:12 am »
This looks like a very useful package. Unfortunately, the documentation seems to be sparse, and this really hinders the package's adoption by the open source community.

For instance, there is another request for guidelines on how to build a module. The 'final answer' is that "There is no developer guide for the Community Edition at this time." And the topic is dropped.

Another example is AJAX Client Development. The client object tree is extensive (and again, largely undocumented). But nowhere is there any guidance on how to make a change. If, by chance, one should happen to find the object that you want to change, merely changing the object accomplishes nothing. Somehow you have to use the scripts in the '/build' directory. Again, this is completely undocumented - what scripts to call, what variables they'll accept or require, if any, etc.

Right now, I have a need for a Asset Management System, but Calem won't fit the need, as I need to incorporate the ability to track the data of and report on multiple customers, provide security between the customers and need different custom forms to limit the data presented in a view to specific roles. The last item basically requires that I have multiple views of the same form, which as far as I can tell, can't be done. Without the ability to develop on a new branch, Calem is a non-starter.

And without documentation, any development will take at least 3 times as long as it should.

Any help you can provide on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rob

hu97224

Re: How to build
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
It will be nice to have some documentation on how to build so rest of the Open Source community can go from there.

ramorius

Re: How to build
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:21:34 am »
Found this in the Wiki. It might help someone.

Client Configuration
Client configuration (at CalemEAM/client/conf) includes CalemConf.js and CalemConf.custom.js. Create CalemConf.custom.js from CalemConf.custom.sample.js if it is the first time customizing client configuration (so CalemConf.custom.js does not exist).

When client configuration changes are complete. Go to CalemEAM/bin directory, run command 'deploy.bat build' (or ./deploy.sh build) to build client packages for changes to be effective.