IT Asset Management > Feature suggestion

At a first glance I missed drilldowns

(1/1)

Entitaet:
First let me say that the user interface looks very good!

I'm familiar with some CAFM tools and also with the EAM system Maximo from IBM (former MRO) which is totally based on J2EE technology in the actual version.

Therefore I missed e.g. a drilldown, especially for the assets. And why there are no locations, too?

Best regards

calemadmin:
Great point about drilldown. You're right it's missing in CalemEAM.
We might be able to add asset drilldown initially, something like the following:

Starting from location (such as plant/site), drill down to buildings or systems,
then down to assets. It will be a tree view like:

Austin site
   - Downtown
     - SanJacinto Building
       - Exchange server
       - FTP server

- NW
     - Riata Building

Please comment if this will make sense to you.

On your question about location:
Location is modeled as asset in CalemEAM. The rationale is one can track costs/activities on location just like an asset. You can also issue a work against a location. Please also comment on if this makes sense to you.

We appreciate your time in sending your suggestions. We will record this feature suggestion in Mantis (http://www.calemeam.com/apps/mantis) when we get a better grasp if the proposed changes will meet your needs.

Best regards.

Entitaet:

--- Quote from: "calemadmin" ---[..]
We might be able to add asset drilldown initially, something like the following:

Starting from location (such as plant/site), drill down to buildings or systems,
then down to assets. It will be a tree view like:

Austin site
   - Downtown
     - SanJacinto Building
       - Exchange server
       - FTP server

- NW
     - Riata Building

Please comment if this will make sense to you.
--- End quote ---

Yes, this is exactly that what should be possible in an EAM system. In the real world there are existing a lot of examples of asset hierarchies, e.g. a (big)

ventilating plant with humidifying action
with
   air intake / outlet air device
   electric control cabinet
   a lot of filter devices

--- Quote from: "calemadmin" ---
On your question about location:
Location is modeled as asset in CalemEAM. The rationale is one can track costs/activities on location just like an asset. You can also issue a work against a location. Please also comment on if this makes sense to you.
--- End quote ---

OK, for me it seems as a - let me say this - only a first approach. The reason for this is that you can have a location, e.g a

plant room (waste water)

In this room is a so-called sewage lifting unit (I hope it's the correct translation, because I'm not a native english speaker) installed.

One can imagine to track a workorder regarding only the room (e.g. coating the walls) in comparision to a workorder regarding the sewage lifting unit (e.g. asset is not working) Also it should be possible to dismantle (to dismount) the asset (sewage lifting unit). In the latter case you want to install the asset in another room, because you'll get a new occupancy for the plant room (e.g. a store room). Therefore it's good that one can differ directly between an asset and a location in a drilldown. Also a drilldown makes it easy to navigate quick and easy down to the room/asset. Please bear in mind that big companies/organizations have thousands of locations and equipments which they want to manage with such a system. If you always have to select you location or asset via a list that is  tiring.

It would be great to use a catalog of a predefined list of asset categories which could be extended by the user. Perhaps in such a manner like the asset type. I did not see if it's possible.

Best regards.

calemadmin:
An issue is opened based on your suggestion and feedback. You may track the status of this feature at: http://www.calemeam.com/apps/mantis/view.php?id=7

Again, thank your for the suggestion and follow-up.

Best regards,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version