Generic items are transitional items that are purchased, used, but not stocked in storerooms. Dedicated item numbers are not intended for these items. Instead, a set of generic items are reused for this purpose. Generic items have been supported since release R20 in February 2020.
Step 1. Create Generic Items
A generic item can be created with the following attributes:
- An item number indicating generic items. For instance: G-01, Generic-01
- A note indicating generic items: For instance, "Generic item"
- "Generic" flag: checked to indicate that the item is generic and any legit vendor in Calem can be used with the item.
- Generic items are not received to storerooms.
- "Lot-Priced" field: checked indicating that each receiving transaction will use the PO price to receive the item and check out the item.
- Category field: a dropdown value of "Part", "Tool", or "Service".
- These dropdown values allow an item to be checked out upon receipt.
- Create site items for a generic item to be used in sites.
- Generic items cannot be asset items.
Step 2. Generic Items in Requisitions and POs
Generic items can be placed in requisition and POs with own line description.
- Create additional generic items to support multiple generic items in a single REQ or PO
- Generic items are carried over from REQ to PO.
Step 3. Check out Generic Items at PO Receiving
When receiving generic items one has to select a work order or a cost center to check out the generic items.
if storeroom is selected, a bin selection screen is shown and an error message is displayed after a valid bin is selected.